The Proven Science Behind Increasing Conversions
In Internet Marketing, the term Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) is used to describe a system for converting a percentage of website visitors into customers, leads, members, or more generally, a user that takes any desired action. At UX Team, we are true believers in using this proven, scientific formula for optimizing conversion rates developed by MECLABS Institute — a research laboratory dedicated to discovering what really works in online marketing. In fact, we even have this CRO Heuristic Formula written at the top of our whiteboards to make sure all our designs account for each element of the formula — plus, it helps remove opinions from influencing important design decisions.
CRO Heuristic Formula
C = 4m + 3v + 2(i-f) – 2a
C = Probability of Conversion
m = Motivation of user (when)
v = Clarity of the Value Proposition (why)
i = Incentive to take action
f = Friction elements in the process
a = Anxiety about entering information
Following the Formula
To help make sure our designs follow this proven formula, we ask these questions:
- How are we motivating the user to act now?
- Is there anything time-sensitive or urgent?
- Will they miss out on something if they don’t act now?
- Is the value proposition clear and obvious?
- Are there too many competing value props?
- Is the value prop too vague?
- What incentive are we providing the user?
- What’s in it for the user?
- Is there a free giveaway or discount they get?
- Is there anything exclusive we should promote?
- What elements might cause friction or slow the user down?
- Can we eliminate some friction elements?
- How can we reduce the amount of friction for the elements that are needed?
- What are we doing to lower a user’s anxiety about entering information?
- What are we doing to strengthen the trust and the security of their data?
- Should we display “trust badges”?
- Can we reference how many other users have converted?
Recent Web and Mobile UX Design and Development Projects
We design and develop software and website user experiences for a wide-range of clients in many different industries.